About 30% of the protein in our body is made out of collagen. It is an extremely important protein because it connects the tissue to our body parts – bones, tendons, ligaments and skin.
There are three types of Collagen which serve different purposes.
• Minimizes wrinkles
• Hydrates the skin and enhances skin elasticity
• Supports hair and nails
• Helps with muscle recovery
• An important element of cartilage
• Improves joint health
• Supports the musculoskeletal system
• Helps maintaining good eye health
• Maintains a healthy digestion
• Supports the gut flora
• Improves skin hydration and elasticity
• Can be found in intestines, muscles and blood vessels
As we get older, collagen production starts to slow down resulting in wrinkles, weaker joints and thinner hair. But we have good news, you can maintain and restock collagen by taking a food supplement.
• Research suggests that by taking collagen as a food supplement can improve skin elasticity and hydration
• Collagen can improve bone density and support better bone health as they get weaker with age
• A study conducted in 2014 found that combining astaxanthin and collagen can improve facial elasticity
• Studies indicate that collagen may increase the strength of nails and support hair growth.